If you're looking for more space, either for yourself or for your growing family, you don't have to move out of the area you love. Building a second storey extension for your Melbourne home is both cost-effective and easier than moving to another suburb. You can stay in the home you love, and achieve more space.
At Supa Group, we specialise in completing second storey extensions and renovations. We offer fixed completion times at competitive prices, and you can remain in your home while we build your extension.
How much does it cost?
The price of a second storey extension will depend on factors such as:
- The scale of your project: How many rooms do you want to add?
- The quality of materials: Are you looking to add in marble benchtops or ornate detailing on light fixtures?
- The construction company you choose to build with: Some companies will use very cheap materials, and underpay their employees while others will do the job properly
According to realestate.com.au, however, a second storey extension can cost anywhere between $1,800 to as much as $15,000 per square metre.
At Supa Group, we offer fixed prices so you have complete control over your budget. We also offer financing referrals, so you can get your extension done efficiently. We even offer a free design consultation.
The process for adding a second storey extension
What do you want to add? Do you need another bedroom for a growing child? Or perhaps you'd like a second lounge room, or games room. You can talk to a design consultant about your ideas, or you can do it yourself. But, just remember, unless you're an expert designer or renovator by trade, it's best to go with a professional.
Getting a planning permit
When building onto your home, you'll need to check out planning permits with your local council. It can be a tough process to navigate if you've never built on your land before, but you can hire professionals to help.
At Supa Group, we've helped our clients apply for permits with their local councils all over Melbourne. We know how to dot our i's and cross our t's. We'll create working drawings, and present them to the right authorities, and while we're at it, we can outline the costs of your renovation.
Securing a building permit
Once you've obtained a planning permit, you may need to apply for a building permit. Before starting the application process, you'll need to appoint a registered building surveyor. Your architect or builder can apply for the permit on your behalf. But you'll need to authorise them first.
Then, your building team can get to work on construction. For all Melbourne second storey extensions, you may only have up to 36 months to complete the works. This sounds like a lot of time right now, but if your renovation is extensive, or you're doing it yourself and encounter challenges, the time can get away from you. After 36 months, your permit will have expired. You can request an appeal through the Building Appeals Board, but not all appeals are granted.
How to choose the right builder
Price and budget are just one factor when it comes to selecting the right people to build your home. You should always look at things like:
- Their reputation: Have they received good reviews? Call and ask friends which builders they know which are good. Word of mouth is often the strongest selling point.
- Do they cut corners?: You want to trust your builder to pay the right dues, and have a good credit rating. It's fine to work to a budget, but at some point, a price is too cheap to trust.
- Do they have the right style? Most builders often specialise in particular styles. Have a look at the previous work the builder has done, and see if they have experience building second storey extensions.
Is it cheaper to build a second storey or extension?
The great thing about a second storey extension versus a ground floor renovation is that you won't need to worry about pouring a new foundation. This is why the first option is often more affordable. It's easier to build up than out, plus a second storey extension adds resale value to your home.
Why choose Supa Group
We've been building quality, cost-effective second floor extensions for our clients for over 40 years. We offer an end-to-end service, which means we can assure the quality of the build from the initial drawings to the final construction. We also offer:
- Structural guarantees for 10 years
- Finance options available
- Fixed completion times